Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Reflection...

This morning I woke up to a fresh set of Tyrus videos to watch. It five thirty in the morning and I'm here with tears in my eyes, watching Ty laugh it up with his momma while she desperately tries to get him to do tricks on camera. He really does go into shell shock when that camera goes on.

As I sit here and watch Ty grow I remember that it wasn't that long ago when my kids were little like that. It was me on the floor trying to make them blow kisses and do all the fun tricks that they had been trying to master for weeks.

Now they are big and I find myself taking them for granite many times. Its a whole different story when they are not babies and you are not wiping their butts or carrying them to the bath tub. Now they do all that on their own and our relationship is so different. I remember when all they wanted was a cup of milk and a chance to sit as close to mom as they could. Now, they still want the milk, but the "close to mom" thing is not so much there. The kids focus (Ive noticed) is to become independent, and they desperately seek to be their own persons.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to this. I'm being stretched and pulled and tested daily. I honestly don't know how we make it through the weeks. Except for Gods grace...I'm not sure I would make it.

I remind myself daily that this is all part of growing up for them. Its a bit scary for me because I am doing it alone...so it helps me to remember that every kid goes through these stages, and it is just different stages of life.

Through it all, parenting is still the best job ever. Everything I do revolves around them. In fact lately I have realized that I probably need to plan a night out. I have noticed a bit of grumpy in my attitude. But I think that can be fixed with a fun night out at the movies. Taking care of me needs to go back at the top of the list.

We are so excited to move. We have not received a move in date yet, but we will, and Ill announce it on here. I want to post before and after pictures (good apartment vs. bad apartment LOL). Thank you all for your sweet comments. I'm so glad to have you all as readers. You are dear to me.

I think reflection is the best medicine. Ty makes me reflect a lot. I could watch a million other babies videos, but he is different, and when I watch him play and laugh with his momma and daddy, it brings my life back in perspective. Watching him makes me remember where I have come from...and where I want to go, and how I want to parent my kids. Thank you God for Ty....thank you God for all my kids.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

"Watching him makes me remember where I have come from...and where I want to go, and how I want to parent my kids. Thank you God for Ty...."

That made me cry. Those are my words, too :). Reflecting is good; perspective even better.

As far as the kids growing up, it's gotta be hard! Everyday, I tell Ty, "You're not going to grow up and leave mama are you? I want to be the only girl you love!" I just don't know how I will handle less snuggles and fewer kisses. I know it's a part of life and as parents (Can you believe I finally get to use that word??)we should be joyful that our kids are growing and thriving and needing us less...

Good thing I have a few years until I need to get to that place, I'm not ready! :)

mak'n Changes said...

I just love reading your blog! I an always excited to open your page and read your thoughts. I was over at rebekahs blog reading up on Tys 8th month, one of my favorite parts of her page is the picture of you on the side bar titled "My Hero" I love how they honor you! You are an amazing lady Becky! I will forever be so proud of the Woman you've become! May God give you every desire of your beautiful heart!
Cindie